Friday, July 25, 2008

Made it through another week and another two chapters. I've finally found my writing rhythm in Georgia. :-) During the week, I get up and write a little before work, but I'm finding that a bulk of my writing is on the weekends. I'm inching along on the novel, but moving nonetheless. Moreso that I've had the time to do over the last couple of years.

I'm also reading while I go. Reading books on writing. What I'm reading now is Hooked, by Les Edgerton. I'm at the beginning, reading a few pages before I write or at night before I go to bed. It's very interesting to me so far. Les talks about the change in story structure over time and I'm finding it quite true. It correlates to what I've learned in writing courses as well as being a published author. He's talking about stories staring with an inciting incident, then following through with the protagonist trying to reach resolution. Backstory and narrative being primarily throughout the story, rather than the big set up at the beginning of the story and with each scene.

Before I even picked up this book, this is what I was striving to do with my current novel. I got a lot of feedback on the descriptions in my first two novel. Yet, I also got feedback because it was "slow to start." At the time, I honestly couldn't understand it, because I felt I needed it to get readers to understand the characters and their motives. NOW, I see where I can jump right into the story, and insert background in small spurts as I go.

I'm getting to see how fun it is to try to improve and change with each book you write. It's like each one is a stepping stone and an evaluation tool for the next one in determining how to make your writing better.

I'm looking forward to another writing weekend and to completing more chapters!

2 comments:

Frederick Smith Sun Jul 27, 09:51:00 PM EDT  

Congrats on the two chapters. That's a good feeling, huh? I've been pretty productive too, but one thing that's making me feel more productive is doing shorter chapters. Pearl Cleage's novels have short chapters, so I kinda picked up the technique from her books.
fs

Cherlyn Michaels Mon Jul 28, 04:20:00 AM EDT  

Yeah, I can see how that would feel more productive Fred. I actually love reading books with shorter chapter. Easy to me to get to a breaking point. I'd love to be able to do that. Thanks for the tip! :-)