Sunday, July 24, 2005

I had one of those chapters that I just got stuck on. I knew what I wanted to write. And it wasn't even writer's block. It just wasn't flowing right. I decided to not worry about it and to just lay the plot down for right now, and to go back and fix the flow after I finish the first draft. What I'm finding anyway is that as I write new chapters, something comes up where I have to insert a line or two or a paragraph in a previous chapter. So, I know I'm going to have to go back and shape everything afterwards. Worrying about it now is just preventing me from laying it down on paper, and I think that's the most important thing right now. Because I'm finding it easier to see what I need to do and how to fix it if I have something down on paper (computer screen). Then I can see what's wrong, and try different things to fix it. This is exciting!

The good thing is that I'm disciplining myself. Yes, it's still going good. And somehow, I managed to meet my writing goal, and go to a concert on Friday night and a baseball game on Saturday. Friday I went to a jazz concert to see Dave Koz and friends. And it wasn't until I got there that I realized one of the friends was Jeffrey Osborne. I LOVE Jeffrey Osborne. I saw him in Vegas a few years back and fell in love with his live performance. He's a grandfather and is in great shape. He wore a suit, but Dave Koz "made him" take off his suit jacket and shirt, to reveal his tight italian muscle shirt. How convenient. The ladies were going wild. Okay...I was going wild. LOL But it was a great show. I love jazz.

Then, my friend took me to the baseball game on Saturday. Cardinals vs. Cubs. That has to be one of the greatest rivalries in baseball. I had a great time, even though we lost. Something about beer and whooping it up with Cubs fans and fellow Cardinals fans that makes everything okay. Well, except if you're out in the bleachers and you're around the sour grapes of the losing team. Sometimes, it's not too pretty. But it was too hot that day and luckily, my friend had pull and we were able to watch the game from the Batter's Cage, which is an air conditioned viewing room with all the free food and beverages you can handle.

It was a day game, so I came home, took a nap, then wrote for the rest of the day. :-)

6 comments:

Rose Mon Jul 25, 02:10:00 AM EDT  

Cherlyn I am enjoying reading your blogs..As an author myself and going the self-published route for the same reasons you did, I congratulate you on your success. Your blogs are informative. Wow! I have so much work to yet do on my book, Backroom Confessions, to get the word out. Again, keep up the writing. By the way we have three things in common, writing, St. Louis and Delta Sigma Theta. Go on girl-do your thing.

Cherlyn Michaels Mon Jul 25, 09:09:00 AM EDT  

Hi Rose,
I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. Sometimes, I do wonder if anyone finds it interesting. But it's a great release for me. I don't worry about anything. I just sign in a write about whatever's on my mind at the time. That can be a scary thing.
Oooohhh! So we got those three things in common? Well, you're definitely going to have to email me to tell me more: cherlyn@cherlynmichaels.com.

I wish the best to you in your writing endeavors!

Anonymous Mon Jul 25, 10:20:00 AM EDT  

I liked hearing your writing process. It's much the same for me. Bare bones down on paper, add the heart and soul in layers in further drafts ...

princessdominique Mon Jul 25, 11:04:00 PM EDT  

That's the first thing I would advise. Just keep plugging through with the first draft. When I first started writing I would rewrite the first chapter over and over and it took forever to finish the book. You did the right thing.

Cherlyn Michaels Tue Jul 26, 01:37:00 AM EDT  

Jill and Dom,

Cool! Your comments are helpful. Since this is my 2nd book, I still feel new and I feel like I'm still "finding myself" when it comes to writing. :-)

Cherlyn Michaels Mon Aug 01, 11:58:00 PM EDT  

Hey Marcus,
Well, I was making progress until last week! Now I got to make up for it! Ah, the life of a writer, huh?

And oh, yes! I love jazz. From the old school of Miles Davis, Coltrane to contemporary artists such as Dave Koz, Norman Brown, Najee, Marion Meadows, and...just too many to name! And if you like jazz, well then, you must be a'ight too. LOL