Friday, July 03, 2009



Six more weeks until school is over and I can go back to focusing on writing. Yay!

I never write about stuff like pop culture, fashion, makeup, etc. because I don't find it enjoyable to read or write about. But the passing of MJ has made me look, notice, and reflect on several things. With the passing of a musical icon, I notice the immediate reflection on negativity, gossip and speculation, and disregard for the emotions and feelings of family members. How awful it must be to have your every move tracked, your emotional highs and lows immediately published along with unconfirmed speculations. There is so much positive to focus on. For most of us that grew up on Michael Jackson's music, there are probably several songs that will spark up memories of when and where we were when we first heard it. We can remember the excitement of watching his energetic an magical performances at concerts, on TV, and in videos. We can be proud of the musical barriers he broke and how he brought the entire world together musically. We can look at the ways that he made a positive contribution to the world through giving time and money to various charities. It's a shame that we cannot take a moment to give respect to the passing of life and to reflect on the positive contributions made and celebrating his life before immediately delving into negativity. We've all had troublesome parts of our lives, but yet we want to make ourselves feel better by pointing out and highlighting someone else's troubles as greater than our own. We all have battles. And our battles are between us and our Creator, and anyone else we choose to invite in. It is not for me to judge anyone, I feel.

I'm not a music buyer, but I downloaded my favorite MJ songs onto my iPod and worked them into my workout rotation. Six weeks to go...it's time to get back in shape. Enjoy life!

2 comments:

Rose Mon Jul 06, 02:17:00 PM EDT  

I grew up loving the Jacksons. Micheal was the greatest and no one can ever take that no matter what they say!

Cherlyn Michaels Mon Jul 06, 02:46:00 PM EDT  

i agree. i remember the cartoons, the jackson 5 music, commercials, magazines, everything. and there is no entertainer like him today that is world-wide. his creativity cannot be matched.